Saturday, October 17, 2009

Stuffed Shells



Hello Everyone!

Welcome to my blog. I had two goals in mind when I began cooking;
1.) Not to do the same boring stuff every night. I have a husband, and he needs to eat real food.
2.) To be as inexpensive as possible. I wanted to work with $35 a week to feed our family (which at this point also includes my mom, dad and brother).

After doing so well for a week, and everyone asking for my recipes I decided I would start a blog and keep track of the things I have cooked.

Tonight's dinner was a little bit different because I was only cooking for myself as everyone else was either working or off having fun at the movies. So, I decided to make stuffed shells.

What you'll need:
Jumbo Shells - typically 4-6 shells per person is needed. For this particular recipe I am using 12 shells.
Ricotta Cheese - 4 ounces
Mozzarella Cheese - 1 ounce (you can also add Parmesan or more mozzarella if you love cheese).
1 Egg
Marinara/Spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom of the dish and a little on top.
Whatever spices you like - I used onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, oregano and black pepper.
6 cups of water.
Pot
Oven-Safe baking dish

Preheat the oven to 350 while you prepare everything else.

Bring the 6 cups of water to a boil over the stove. While you are waiting for the water to boil, mix cheeses, egg, and spices in a bowl, once the water is boiling add the Jumbo shells until they are soft and cooked (typically about 4 minutes).

Drain all of the water from the noodles - it's best to use a colander - then carefully take the warm shells and hold them open with your fingers so that you can put the cheese mixture in. Be careful, because they will be hot and you don't want to burn yourself!

Once the cheese mixture is in the shells you'll want to take your oven-safe baking pan and add just enough sauce to cover the bottom.

Lay the stuffed shells in the baking pan and pour a thin layer of sauce over top so that the shells wont dry out in the oven.

Place the shells in the oven for 25 minutes, and you're done!


Now you can sit down and enjoy the tasty meal before you!

Cherise

No comments:

Post a Comment