Sunday, October 25, 2009

Tomato Basil Soup and Mini Meatballs


Okay, so I know I haven't updated in a few days, but I have been cooking, do not worry!

I got very busy making a blanket for baby Juliet, updating my website, and taking care of my little teething angel ;-)

So this recipe is Tomato Basil Soup, it's pretty easy, I didn't make the tomato base myself because I didn't have the time, but if you do you just need to puree 5-6 tomatoes and boil it with a cup of milk.

What you'll need:

2 cans of unseasoned tomato sauce
1.5 - 2 cups of milk
1 tablespoon Basil
2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Sage
1 tablespoon Oregano
1 tsp Cayenne

Heat the tomato sauce up until boiling, add the milk and spices, stir until warm.

Mini Meatballs:

1 lb Ground Meat (we used turkey, but you can use beef, lamb, chicken, whatever you usually use)
1 cup bread crumbs (to make yourself, toast bread and crumble)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 egg
2/3 cup oil for frying (I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

In a medium bowl add all ingredients and mix together, roll into small balls. This makes approximately 50 mini-meatballs. While you are preparing your meatballs turn the stove on medium-high with enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, but not enough that it would drown the meatballs. *NOTE* When dealing with heating up oil, you want to make sure your pan is completely DRY before adding the oil to heat up, otherwise as it heats the water and oil will start to spark and it can hurt and burn. So DRY pan before heating up the oil!

Add the meatballs to the heated oil. You can put a lid on and cook for 15-20 minutes, checking periodically to turn the meatballs so they don't burn on any sides.

I personally like putting the meatballs into the soup, however, we have picky people in our family so we had them separately.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment